Despite the greenery that has overtaken the turreted towers and the castle walls, a rich and long history unfolded here, mixing royal visits and hunting receptions, feats of arms and dramatic events. With a past extending its roots more than 850 years back, a succession of famous names in the History of Touraine (lords of Sainte-Maure to the Dukes of Choiseul through the Marquis of Beauvau), with lords places a captain of Du Guesclin and a steward of Finance, a bishop, a minister of Louis XV and an ambassador of France - but also the assassination of the Duke of Guise - not to mention the passages of Joan of Arc, Louis XI and Henry IV. The sumptuous castle was burned down in 1882. The Orangerie, built in 1768, was enlarged with a neo-Louis XV style extension between its two square pavilions and again in 1884 at its rear facade an additional wing in an Anglo Norman style. In the late 19th century the chateau underwent a partial renovation. During the Second World War it was occupied by the Germans and unfortunately, taken again by fire in 1943.