The château of Coislin used to be the main city of a duchy-peerage erected by Louis XIV in favor of Armand du Cambout, knight of the order of the King. There follow the families Musse, Guennec, Baye and Cambout.
Coislin was an old seigniory, nowadays located on the commune of Campbon. It was an important feudal possession of the county of Nantes.
During the dismemberment of the feudal castle in 1565, it was acquired by René du Cambout, lord of Coislin. From then on, the ascension of Cambout and Coislin began.
The lordship of Coislin was then erected as a marquisate at the initiative of the king in 1656.
From this lineage of Cambout, several emblematic figures including Louise du Plessis de Richelieu, aunt of Cardinal Richelieu who married François du Cambout. From their union were born several children. Another emblematic figure of the Cambout de Coislin family, Marie-Anne, marquise de Coislin, mistress of Louis XV and who was at the origin of the construction of the hotel de Coislin, located at the corner of the rue royale and Place de la Concorde in Paris. During this period, she worked with Chateaubriand, who was one of her tenants and became her friend and confidante.
The name of some rooms of the château are named after them: Marie-Anne room, Louise room.
You will also find the room of Armand, who was knight of the order of the King and the room Henry-Charles du Cambout, bishop of Metz and commander of the order of Holy Spirit.